Tag: 夜上海论坛EG

Murphy needs to commit to stopping NJT Development before we support…

first_imgDear Editor:We should not support Phil Murphy for Governor until he commits to stopping New Jersey Transit, (NJT), from forcing us to accept a massive development along our rail yards.In 2008, NJT introduced a plan that called for 9 million square feet of development along our rail yards. This would have been a disaster. Thus, the City of Hoboken rejected NJT’s plan; and, acting out of fear that NJT might someday implement its plan, approved its own plan in 2014, that called for 2.2 million square feet of development along our rail yards.The City’s plan, though roughly 75% smaller than NJT’s original plan, [(9- 2.2) / 9], will, enable mass development in a high risk flood zone that is below sea level, increase our residential population by 10%, and add population density to the most congested area of our City where traffic jams are frequent. Therefore, the City’s plan, though better than NJT’s plan, is also bad for our future. Unfortunately, the people of Hoboken cannot use the power of public referendum to challenge the City Council’s decision because in 1975 our State Legislature took away this right, (see N.J.S.A. 40:55D-62b). Therefore, our best hope to control NJT and secure a better future for our City is to elect a Governor who appoints members to the NJT Board who focus on providing transportation service and not on forcing massive development on communities that cannot handle it. The next Governor of New Jersey will immediately get to appoint three seats to the NJT Board. We should hear Mr. Murphy’s opinion on this topic before we decide whether to support him. Finally, in my opinion, the best use for the land near the NJT rail yards is open green space coupled with limited commercial space that scales no larger than the current buildings that occupy the area. This would gel with the OMA ‘rebuild by design’ plan that the City favored in building our defenses against future flooding back in 2013.Sincerely,Franz Paetzollast_img read more

Read More Murphy needs to commit to stopping NJT Development before we support…

Huntington Carbon Monoxide Case Sparks Slew of Proposals

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Lawmakers in a half dozen municipalities across Long Island have expanded carbon monoxide detector mandates last month after the poisonous gas recently killed one person and sickened 27 others at Walt Whitman Shops.Nassau County as well as the towns of Hempstead, North Hempstead and Brookhaven passed laws requiring CO detectors in commercial establishments and places of public assembly while Suffolk legislators approved a measure requiring them in county buildings. Oyster Bay town officials said they are sending letters this week to businesses requiring them to do the same under current town code, or face fines. And similar proposals are being debated elsewhere on LI and in the New York State Legislature.“What is so frightening about carbon monoxide is that it is truly the silent killer,” said Mark Cappola, one of the EMTs sickened while treating patients during the Feb. 22 Legal Seafood incident, to the town board as it debated adopting a similar code last month. “It’s odorless, colorless, non-irritating and impossible to detect without equipment. We never smelled, tasted, felt or in any way knew we were being exposed to this poison. We simply went about our business of treating our patients, and all the while we were inhaling the toxic gas and becoming victims ourselves.”New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code requires CO detectors in residential buildings, but not commercial structures. A handful of proposals pending in Albany include bills that would require the devices in schools, college dorms and would create tax credits to help owners buy them—in addition to one requiring them in commercial establishments statewide. Some local politicians that passed their commercial CO-detector codes urged state lawmakers to do the same.More than 400 people nationwide die annually of CO poisoning—and over 20,000 are hospitalized—often as a result of using gas-powered generators indoors, running vehicle engines while parked in unventilated garages or trying to heat a home with a gas range, oven or BBQ grill, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  The Legal Seafood case was attributed to a malfunctioning water heater flue pipe and went unnoticed, since there was no CO detector, until a staffer fainted.“I hope the state follows Nassau’s lead by implementing this legislation state-wide,” Presiding Officer Norma Gonsalves (R-East Meadow) said of the new code in that county, which gives existing businesses until 2015 to install battery-operated detectors and requires new or renovated commercial structures to install hardwired detectors.Supporters of expanding the mandates include Jack McCarthy, president of the Suffolk County Restaurant & Tavern Owners Association, Brian Rosenberg of the Long Island Restaurant and Hospitality Association and Neal Lewis, executive director of The Sustainability Institute at Molloy College, who had been pushing to raise awareness of the issue prior to the Huntington case.The Town of Babylon, where seven people reportedly suffered CO sickness at a West Babylon business this week, is encouraging builders to install the devices in new structures and is considering drafting similar legislation. A Southold building inspector said his town is also considering drafting legislation. Riverhead, East Hampton and Shelter Island town officials said they have no such proposals. Smithtown, Islip and Southampton officials did not respond to requests for comment.Cappola, the EMS worker who was among the staff and first responders sickened at Legal Seafood, recalled that the gas was filling the restaurant that Saturday night, and they were moments away from more fatalities in addition to the 55-year-old manager, Steven Nelson.“What happened at Legal Seafood was a warning shot that cannot be ignored,” he said.last_img read more

Read More Huntington Carbon Monoxide Case Sparks Slew of Proposals

To the manor born

first_imgYou can lap up the luxury from every room in the house – and from the poolMrs Spencer personally chose many of the key features for the house, flying to Prague to pick out the chandeliers and visiting Bangkok to select the fountain and statues to line the driveway.Italian marble has been used throughout the home, with many of the walls treated by hand.The stunning claw foot bath was also a favourite piece of Mrs Spence, and is overlooked by two Venetian mirrors.“The wallpaper in the main bedroom suites is from France, as are all of the fabrics,” she said.The couple have now moved out their former family home, having downsized to a small Georgian-style house at Kangaroo Point. Additional premium extras include a four car garage, C-Bus System controlled lighting, airconditioning, CCTV security, extensive storage, a large workshop and garden shed, biocycle waste system and 4.5kW solar panels. Luxury features are featured throughout the houseOwners Craig and Christine Spencer built the seven-bedroom residence in 1998, drawing inspiration from their travels.Mrs Spencer said it had been a “work of art spanning 20 years”.“We drew inspiration from the Georgian-style homes in Atlanta, taking that neoclassical look,” she said. 652 London Road, Chandler Wow, just wow!SITUATED on a little over one hectare and just 15 kms from the Brisbane CBD, this Georgian-inspired home has the feel of a modern royal estate.Boasting a 901sq m interior — four and a half times bigger than the average new home — it is filled with ornate and luxurious touches including marble staircases, wrought-iron banisters and chandeliers.center_img French wallpaper adorns the wallsMrs Spence said she would miss decorating the Christmas tree, which was situated in the formal room and needed scaffolding to decorate. “It was a family home. We didn’t treat it like some showcase home. The kids could run around wherever they wanted,” she said. The couple are behind the Carter and Spencer Group, a third generation family-owned fresh fruit and vegetable firm.Entry to their sprawling estate is via a grand, manicured hedge-lined driveway with a tiered fountain and baroque statues, which leads to a grand porte-cochere.You then step inside to a gallery, open plan lounge and formal dining space, with a grand staircase leading to the upper floor.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus17 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market17 hours agoThe western wing of the ground level incorporates a family room, casual dining area and kitchen with European appliances, a walk-in pantry, cold room and custom built wine cellar. A six-seat home theatre, dance room, home office, games room, laundry, guest room and gymnasium are also located on the ground floor, which leads out on to the terraces, courtyards, patios and alfresco entertaining areas via french doors.Upstairs, there is a family retreat, four bedrooms, a guest room, two bathrooms and a master suite featuring an enormous walk-through robe, generous ensuite with bath and dual basin vanity, and access to two separate Juliet balconies.Outside, there is a 20m lap pool flanked by manicured lawns and paved sunbathing areas and a large pond.last_img read more

Read More To the manor born