Tag: 苏州西环路粉玫瑰

SWINE FLU BREAKING NEWS

first_imgApr 29, 2009Dr. Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organization, today raised the agency’s pandemic alert level to phase 5, one notch below a full-scale influenza pandemic, signaling that it’s time for all countries to prepare. [Margaret Chan’s statement]The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today reported a total of 91 confirmed cases of swine flu in 10 states, with 51 cases in New York City. Besides New York, affected states and case numbers are Arizona, 1; California, 14; Indiana, 1; Kansas, 2; Massachusetts, 2; Michigan, 2; Nevada, 1; Ohio, 1, and Texas, 16. [CDC swine flu page]Fukuda said the WHO knew of 114 confirmed swine flu cases in seven countries as of 5 p.m. Geneva time today. These included 13 in Canada, 64 (with 1 death) in the United States, 26 (with 7 deaths) in Mexico, 2 in Israel, 4 in Spain, 2 in the United Kingdom, and 3 in New Zealand.A 22-month-old boy from Mexico City died in a Houston, Tex., hospital earlier this week, marking the first swine flu death in the United States and the first outside Mexico, the Texas Department of Health Services reported today. The boy’s close contacts have remained healthy, officials said. [TDHS news release]Germany reported three swine flu cases and Austria reported one, according to a Reuters report today. The patients included a Bavarian couple in their 30s, a 22-year-old woman from Hamburg, and a 28-year-old Austrian.New York and Indiana have received their full allotments of influenza antivirals from the Strategic National Stockpile, and all other states will receive theirs by May 3, Dr. Richard Besser, acting CDC director, said in a press briefing held by the US Department of Health and Human Services.A “reference strain” of the swine flu H1N1 virus has been isolated by the CDC and sent to vaccine manufacturers, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said at the HHS briefing, adding that limited pilot lots of vaccine could be available for human trials in “early fall.”The US Food and Drug Administration has organized its swine-flu response into an “incident management” structure of seven teams—vaccine, antivirals, personal protective equipment, blood needs, diagnostic research, shortages, and consumer protection—acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Joshua Sharfstein said at the HHS briefing.Viral geneticist Andrew Rambaut, from the University of Edinburgh, told Wired magazine yesterday that the H1N1 virus detected in the global swine flu outbreak doesn’t have human or avian components, but is instead a reassortment of two pig viruses, North American and Eurasian, which have never been detected in pigs or humans before. Two other experts, and reportedly a document from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), confirmed the findings.Only 3 of 14 US swine flu patients with known travel histories had been in Mexico, the CDC said in an MMWR Dispatch last night. Forty of the 64 confirmed cases were not linked to travel or to another confirmed case. [Apr 28 MMWR Dispatch]Between Apr 19 and 27, federal officials checked 15 sick travelers entering the United States from Mexico and confirmed that 2 of them had swine flu, the CDC said in the MMWR Dispatch. Nine travelers remained in isolation pending further evaluation, and four travelers were released.last_img read more

Read More SWINE FLU BREAKING NEWS

Ilonggos from high-risk areas may now come home but…

first_img* negative reverse transcription – polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test result prior to travel “Previously, we cannot allow them to return because we’re on the same level with the provinces they were stuck in,” said Defensor. * certification of acceptance / undertaking of the local government unit (LGU) destination that it will accept the returnee and subject the latter to quarantine at a common quarantine facility (not home quarantine) ILOILO – The provincial government is opening its borders not only to Ilonggos stranded in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) but also to its residents stuck in high-risk areas or those under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ). * Francisco Heler, Jr., head of the Public Employment Service Office – in charge of returning overseas workers; to be assisted by Dr.  Ma. Socorro Quiñon from the Provincial Health Office * certification from the local health unit of the returnee’s place of origin that the latter underwent a 14-day quarantine and did not exhibit signs and symptoms of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Atty. Suzette Mamon, provincial administrator, clarified that the required negative RT-PCR test result are only for returning Ilonggos who are overseas workers. * Gilbert Marin, head of the Provincial Tourism Office – in charge of stranded domestic tourists; in coordination with the Department of Health They, however, have to comply with the three other requirements similar to those required of Ilonggos from ECQ areas. Now, only Iloilo province among Region 6’s provinces remains under an extended ECQ./PN * certification of the governor allowing entry to Iloilo For Ilonggos from high-risk areas but are not overseas workers, she said, a negative result from rapid tests would suffice. For Ilonggos from GCQ areas such as the provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, and Negros Occidental, there is no need for a negative RT-PCR test result prior to travel. Meanwhile, the following were designated as focal persons of the provincial government for  returning Ilonggos: Mayors agreed their respective LGUs would make arrangements for the transport of their constituents entering Iloilo’s borders. The provincial government also has the option of subjecting the returning Ilonggos to RT-PCR test upon arrival. There are, however, requirements that these Ilonggos must comply. “The return has to be organized, coordinated,” said Defensor after meeting on May 4 Vice Gov. Christine Garin, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan members and mayors at Casa Real de Iloilo. Still in line with Memorandum Order No. 21, the provincial capitol is making available a hotline number and email address through which returning Ilonggos could inquire about the processing of the requirements. * Dr. Jerry Bionat, head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office – in charge of returning local stranded residents In Memorandum Order No. 21 (“Guidelines in the processing of returning residents of the Province of Iloilo and designation of focal persons”), Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. listed the following requirements that Ilonggos from ECQ areas must secure before being allowed entry to the province:last_img read more

Read More Ilonggos from high-risk areas may now come home but…