Category: baaballp

Official reports increased cases of scabies, ringworm

first_img 68 Views   no discussions HealthLifestyleNewsRegional Official reports increased cases of scabies, ringworm by: – April 25, 2018 Sharing is caring! Share (Jamaica Observer) The health ministry is planning an education campaign to stem what it said is an increase in the spread of scabies and tinea capitis (ringworm of the scalp) islandwide.Dr Susan Strachan Johnson, medical officer at the Kingston and St Andrew (KSA) Health Department, made the revelation in a report to yesterday’s meeting of the Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) Parish Disaster Preparedness and Public Health Committee.The report stated that the scabies and ringworm cases so far this year “have been above the trend for 2017”. However, the report did not state the number of cases of ringworm for the period January to March 2017 or for the comparative period in 2018.After the meeting, Dr Strachan Johnson told the Jamaica Observer that the ministry was in the process of identifying the main areas in which there are outbreaks of the diseases.“Once the areas are identified, medical personnel will go to the schools to educate the teachers and parents as to what to do,” Dr Strachan Johnson said in reply to a question asked by Councillor Kari Douglas (PNP, Trafalgar Park Division) about the strategy to be employed to educate the public about the diseases.Councillor Neville Wright (PNP, Trench Town Division) questioned whether lack of water at some barber and hairdressing establishments could be one of the reasons for the spread of ringworm.However, Councillor Beverly Prince, vice-chairman of the committee, pointed out that when barbers and hairdressers apply for licences, public health inspectors do a thorough check of the premises from which they intend to operate.The report stated that ringworm of the scalp is a fungal infection of the scalp and hair shafts. It is caused by one of several varieties of mould-like fungi called dermatophytes. Ringworm isn’t caused by a worm. The common name for the disorder refers to the ring-like or circular appearance of the infection on the skin.The report also pointed out that ringworm is very contagious and can be spread:through human-to-human or direct skin-to-skin contact with an infected person;through contact with objects or surfaces that an infected person or animal has touched, such as clothing, towels, combs, or brushes;from animals to humans through dogs, especially puppies, cats and kittens that are often carriers. Other animals that are carriers of ringworm include cows, goats, and pigs.The report also pointed out that the fungi that causes ringworm of the scalp can also cause other infections on the body.Ringworm of the body (tinea corporis) causes a red, scaly ring or circle of rash on the top layer of the skin.Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis) is a form of ringworm which affects the moist areas between the toes and sometimes on the foot itself.Jock itch (tinea cruris) is a form of ringworm that affects genitals, inner upper thighs and buttocks, the report stated.Scabies is an infestation caused by tiny mites, called Sarcoptes scabiei, which settle in the outer layers of human skin, then burrows and lays eggs inside the skin.It leads to relentless itching and an angry rash.center_img Tweet Share Sharelast_img read more

Read More Official reports increased cases of scabies, ringworm

Clippers odds: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George deal reshuffles odds for NBA title

first_imgSeismic NBA changes late Friday night had bookmakers resetting the odds for winning the NBA title.The Clippers, who added Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, are the favorites at anywhere from 3-1 to 2-1.The Lakers, who missed forming a superteam with Leonard, but still take LeBron James and Anthony Davis into the 2019-2020 season, are anywhere between 4-1 to 3-1.Here’s a look and where the oddsmakers have landed after Friday’s Leonard deal. 🏀 NBA Championship (including play-offs) – To Win Outright:– Clippers – 13/5– Lakers – 15/4– Bucks – 11/2– 76ers – 9/1– Warriors – 11/1– Rockets – 13/1📲 Latest odds > https://t.co/9atHiNWeI5. pic.twitter.com/y4I41Z7TKW— bet365 (@bet365) July 6, 2019 Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum Clippers vs. Mavericks Game 5 playoff updates from NBA beat reporters Since 1985, only two teams have had longer than 10-1 odds to repeat…@EvanHAbrams on Toronto’s slide into history: https://t.co/4lbGjPbybq— The Action Network (@ActionNetworkHQ) July 6, 2019 Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img Kristaps Porzingis ruled out as Clippers, Mavericks set for Game 5; Follow for game updates The Clippers are co-favorites (w/Lakers) to win the 2020 NBA title @CaesarsOnline , the 1st time since the NBA-ABA merger (1976-77) that the Clippers are title favorites.Each of the last 10 preseason favorites reached the NBA Finals. The Clippers have never reached the Finals. pic.twitter.com/N8rTe1MWav— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 6, 2019Related Articles What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory last_img read more

Read More Clippers odds: Kawhi Leonard, Paul George deal reshuffles odds for NBA title

Tre Jones injury update: Duke guard (shoulder) probable vs. Georgia Tech

first_img Three takeaways from No. 1 Tennessee’s narrow overtime win at Vanderbilt 🚨 UPDATE FROM COACH K 🚨”Tre is probable for this game… He has really progressed well and hopefully he will be ready to go on Saturday.”(via @dukepbp) pic.twitter.com/mXEneFzhsi— Duke Basketball (@DukeMBB) January 25, 2019Jones suffered a separated AC joint when he collided with Frank Howard early in the first half of the Blue Devils’ 95-91 overtime loss to Syracuse on Jan. 14. He was originally listed as questionable to return but never checked back into the game. Jones has since missed wins against Virginia and Pittsburgh as No. 2 Duke improved to 16-2.Jones was a five-star recruit and the 15th-ranked player in the 2018 class, according to 247Sports. He’s averaging 8.1 points and 5.7 assists in 29.3 minutes per game. Related News Duke freshman guard Tre Jones could be back on the court as soon as Saturday against Georgia Tech, according to head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who said Jones is probable to play against the Yellow Jackets. Jay-Z takes in Zion Williamson’s 25-point effort in Duke win at Pittlast_img read more

Read More Tre Jones injury update: Duke guard (shoulder) probable vs. Georgia Tech

Camp for the U-17 National Team of Bosnia and Herzegovina to be held from end of June

first_imgThe camp for the U-17 national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina will be held from 29th June to 4th July at the FF BH Training Centre in Zenica.Head coach Nermin Šabić invited the following players to this gathering:Sergej Bjelica (Željezničar Sarajevo), Ivan Majstorović (Široki Brijeg), Filip Pandža (Zrinjski), Hamza Redžić (Sloboda), Harun Abaza (Velež), Anis Rosić (Travnik), Murat Demirović (Sarajevo), Mihael Ivanković (Široki Brijeg), Marko Radić (Željezničar Banja Luka),Ali Serdarević (Željezničar Sarajevo), Muhamed Buljubašić (Sarajevo), Haris Hasanović (Sloboda), Jahja Bajrić (Sarajevo), Armin Karišik (Željezničar Sarajevo), Adin Begić (Čelik), Amar Pekarić (Zvijezda Gradačac), Viktor Grbić (Borac), Irfan Ramić (Sarajevo), Aldin Mešić (Sarajevo), Marko Babić (Borac), Ljubiša Cvijanović (Radnik), Dino Suljić (Sloboda).last_img read more

Read More Camp for the U-17 National Team of Bosnia and Herzegovina to be held from end of June

Tuchel: “I can’t say 100% that Neymar will play against Dortmund”

first_imgNeymar Jr could miss the Dortmund-PSG of the knockout stages of the Champions League. Lor that it seemed a scare in the ribs against Montpellier is becoming a nightmare for a player who has not been able to play the final phase of the European Cup in the last two years. “I can’t confirm 100% that Neymar can play the game against Dortmund next week,” said Thomas Tuchel in the press conference after the match against Dijon corresponding to the quarterfinals of the French Cup. The Brazilian was injured against Montpellier on February 1 and has not played again since then.If confirmed, Neymar would have missed at least one game in the knockout stages of the Champions League for the third consecutive year. In his first season in Paris, he lost his lap against Real Madrid at the Parc des Princes, while he was unable to play against Manchester United last year. Both lesions were of the fifth metatarsal, while the lesion is now in the ribs.last_img read more

Read More Tuchel: “I can’t say 100% that Neymar will play against Dortmund”

Devastated Cilic reveals blister sparked Wimbledon tears

first_imgIT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation Croatia’s Marin Cilic receives treatment during a change of ends break as he plays Switzerland’s Roger Federer in the Men’s Singles final match on day thirteen at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London Sunday, July 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Alastair Grant)A devastated Marin Cilic admitted his Wimbledon final tears were triggered by the realization his bid to shock Roger Federer was destined to end in a painful defeat.Cilic wept inconsolably on Centre Court midway through the second set after calling for medical attention on a nasty blister on his left foot.ADVERTISEMENT “Obviously it was very tough emotionally because I know how much I went through in the last few months in preparation for Wimbledon.”Cilic explained that his tears at 3-0 down in the second set were more a result of his disappointment at not being able to perform at his best rather than a legacy of the pain.“It was just a feeling I knew I cannot give my best on the court, that I cannot give my best game, especially at this stage of my career, at such a big match,” he said.“It was very, very difficult to deal with it. It didn’t hurt so much that it was putting me in tears. It was just that feeling that I wasn’t able to give the best.“It was actually very difficult to focus on the match, as well, as my mind was all the time blocked with the pain. ADVERTISEMENT Federer wins record 8th Wimbledon as Cilic bid ends in tears 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano MOST READ Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer LATEST STORIES Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball PLAY LIST 05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball00:50Trending Articles01:07Hong Kong marks Christmas Eve with mall clashes and tear gas01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respitecenter_img “It was tough for me to focus on the tactics, on the things that I needed to do. I wasn’t serving very good today because of that.“Also I was just not able to set up properly on the balls. It was very, very tough to deal with it.”Sad oneCilic had taken pain relief before the match in a bid to get him through, but he revealed he thought he would struggle once he felt more discomfort in the pre-match warm-up.“We even tried to block the pain. But in that area it’s very difficult because it’s hard skin. It helped, but I still felt some pain,” he said.“Even when I was warming up for the match, I was trying to test myself in exercises with change of direction. Really I was too slow basically to react. I knew that it’s going to be difficult. But I tried.”Cilic is confident the blister will have healed by the time he starts his build-up for the US Open, which starts in late August.“Having now three weeks off before U.S. series, tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati, I believe until that time everything is going to be okay,” he said.Despite the agony of being denied a true chance to compete in the final, the 28-year-old took heart from his run to his maiden Wimbledon final and his first at any Grand Slam since winning the US Open in 2014.“Obviously it’s a sad one, it’s a devastating one, but I’m really proud of myself for everything I did these two weeks over here,” he said. The former US Open champion gamely played through the agony, but couldn’t stop Federer cruising to a 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 victory.“I got a bad blister in the semifinal against Sam Querrey. Fluid just came down under my callous in the foot,” Cilic said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’“The physios here helped me over the last 30 hours. They were with me constantly and did as much as they could.“I still felt the pain. Every time I had to do a reaction fast, fast change of movement, I was unable to do that. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I played, I would say, probably best tennis of my life. That’s what I’m going to take home with me.“This will give me much more confidence, much more strength for the rest of the year. I know that my level can even go higher.“That’s something which is definitely making me more happy.”/rgaSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Malacañang open to creating Taal Commission LIVE: Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ View commentslast_img read more

Read More Devastated Cilic reveals blister sparked Wimbledon tears

Toshaos against establishment of a 5-member authority

first_imgWhile most Toshaos are pleased with the pledge of the President to have Cabinet deliberate on accenting to aNTC ChairmanJoel Frederickspiece of land for the National Toshao Council (NTC), many of them are against the establishment of a five-person body to assist the Council.At the closing of the National Toshao Council Conference, Guyana Times spoke to several indigenous leaders and they expressed disapproval with the President’s call for the setting up of a five-person Indigenous People’s Authority to speed up the implementation of decisions coming out of the NTC.On Monday, President David Granger had stated that it is unfair for the Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs to act as “postman” in a fragmented system diffusing across the several ministries in order to access aid for health, physical infrastructure, social protection, economics, and education, Granger stated that it is applicable for such a novel establishment.He predicted that the body will implement decisions made by the NTC and the National Assembly.“We need to clothe the Ministry of Indigenous People’s Affairs with the authority to act decisively to deal with some of these problems,” he had said, charging the Minister to recommend measures to set up the authority.However, one Toshao of Region Nine (Upper Takatu-Upper Essequibo) stated that this is a bad move since it would usurp the role of the Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs and the Council. “We don’t need something like that if we already have a ministry and the NTC,” he said, adding that the Government to turn their eyes at establishing ways to fix more pressing issues like mining and the social breakdown of the hinterland regions.Toshao of Isseneru, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) Darnes Larson said; “I don’t think it is a wise idea because the Ministry already has two Ministers, two advisors plus technical workers,” stressing that his opinion is not blinded by any “agents of division” or support of any political party.He stated that it is crucial for the Government to address issues such as mining, land titling, and the rights of Amerindian peoples.President Granger had stated that the authority would work under the Ministry to lend support to the NTC as a measure to better the quality of life for indigenous people.Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs Shadow Minister Pauline Sukhai has also openly rejected the call. She contended that the new body would undermine the work of the Ministry and the NTC, explaining that the Ministry is already staffed with technical people to manage the affairs of the people.“I notice that there is an attempt to usurp the power of the NTC now and even the Ministry of Indigenous People’s Affairs where now you are going to propose to establish a five-man committee to implement decisions. I don’t see independence in that,” Sukhai said.“…there is need for support for empowering and support of indigenous leaders. How will you establishing a five-person committee when there is a Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs with two Ministers,” she added.However, NTC Chairman Joel Fredericks received President Granger’s announcement with elation. “I believe this is a step in the right direction and I support it but I think the NTC should be a part it,” he said.last_img read more

Read More Toshaos against establishment of a 5-member authority

United now the second best team in Manchester? Funniest reaction to appointment of Guardiola

first_imgSo Man City ended up ‘winning transfer deadline day.’That’s the view of some football fans after the club announced their new manager will be Pep Guardiola.The current Bayern boss will leave his role in Germany at the end of the season and take over from Manuel Pellegrini, who is stepping aside.And when the news broke, there was some interesting reaction, which you can see below.Follow all the latest news on transfer deadline day right here on the talkSPORT live blog. Pep Guardiola will be the new Man City manager – funniest reaction here 1last_img read more

Read More United now the second best team in Manchester? Funniest reaction to appointment of Guardiola